Pages

November 26, 2009

Intimate With Jesus

24.30 | Well, I thought about writing about being intimate with Jesus before being intimate with someone else and now my good friend wrote about it (click here) after one of his friends wrote about it (click here) and since their words are better than mine I'm going to be the lazy one and copy and paste it into here.

So this idea is kind of playing off of my friend Gabby’s blog, but I guess it is slightly different and maybe even taking her thoughts a bit further. If you don’t want to read her blog, she basically argues that relationships are a gift from God, and we shouldn’t think that God is merely waiting for us “to be content in Him” before He gives us one. She talks about how God blesses people who aren’t necessarily content in Him and may be seeking contentment in relationships with relationships, while not giving people who are only seeking contentment in Him one. She says that we do nothing to merit a relationship, and I think she is right.

However, she talks more about the relationship part, and I am going to talk about the seeking contentment in God part. She quotes a girl she overheard saying, “I realized that before I can be in a relationship, I have to be content in God first.”

I pity with a thousand pities the one who ever is content in God. I would think the one who is content in God does not even know God. How could someone ever be content in a being like this when we continue to desire to know our friends and boyfriends and wives better?

I pray that I am never content in God. I pray that until the day my arms are around My Savior I am never fulfilled, but that with each passing moment my hunger and thirst and passions are always wanting more of Jesus. Indeed I would trade a thousand worlds of contentedness for one world of being discontent, if only I may know the heart of My God so intimately that when I behold His face in all of its glory, it will not be as an estranged son coming home, but as a bride being presented before my lover in the most romantic and joyous of wedding ceremonies to ever grace eternity.

I very well could be wrong, but I am not aware of any verse in the Bible that says to be content in God. However, I know many verses about seeking Him and longing for Him and following Him and pursuing Him alone. Therefore, as long as I have life in my heart I will not seek contentment, but only God, and God not as an end, but as a love that knows no limits.

That said, I would encourage everyone who thinks they need to be content in God before having a relationship to think again. I would hope that even in a relationship you are never content in God. As my friend Gabby so simply and profoundly puts, “Love the Lord whether or not you get a relationship in the end. Pursue Him heart and soul.”

Josh

No comments: